The main compounds derived from the cannabis plant are called THC and CBD. These are formulated as oils, capsules or dried flower.
THC is what causes the ‘high’ feeling, but it has also been found to reduce nausea, vomiting, pain, muscle spasms and improve sleep and appetite.
CBD has been found to reduce the ‘high’ caused by THC, and may also be effective for seizures, pain, and to reduce anxiety.
Terpenes are also present in the plant and together with the cannabinoids form what’s termed the “entourage effect”.
Together, THC, CBD and the Terpenes may benefit a range of conditions.
Some of the eligible conditions approved by TGA are :
- Severe muscular spasms and other symptoms of multiple sclerosis
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting
- Some types of epilepsy with severe seizures
- Palliative care (cachexia, nausea and vomiting, pain)
- Some types of chronic non-cancer pain